The second annual fundraising event, featuring a latitude-changing tropical theme and over 30 raffle baskets, helped raise more than $1,500 for EYPN’s scholarship program supporting Elgin High School’s Clumsy Chefs culinary students entering Elgin Community College’s culinary arts program.
EYPN will award two scholarships for the 2014-15 school year: one scholarship to a newly graduating high school senior in the Clumsy Chefs program and one scholarship for one of the returning ECC students that benefitted from the EYPN scholarship last school year.
In addition to a variety of fun-raising Hawaiian fare courtesy of the Clumsy Chefs, the evening was highlighted by the inaugural Hula Hoopla Bracket Challenge where 16 participants competed head-to-head in an NCAA-style bracket tournament of hula-hooping supremacy. The championship round between Clumsy Chef student Ya-Ya and EYPN member Stephanie, went into overtime with Ya-Ya taking home the title.
The organization is still accepting monetary donations for the Clumsy Chefs scholarship program. If you would like to support the scholarship program, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for donation details.
EYPN would also like to thank the following parties for their support of the Hula for Moola Scholarship Fundraiser:
- Chooch’s Pizza, 64 S. Grove Avenue in downtown Elgin, and owners Mike and Dan Butirro for hosting the event and for the great food and service;
- Ann Leider of Elgin High School and her Clumsy Chefs culinary students for providing the delicious Hawaiian goodies;
- Christina Pearson and Elissa Kojzarek of United Way of Elgin for organizing and coordinating all the raffle donations, putting together the raffle baskets and organizing the raffle table;
- Chad Meyers for creating the Hula for Moola logo, posters, signage and Hula Hoopla Challenge bracket graphics;
- All of the individuals, businesses and organizations that generously donated merchandise, gift cards and/or services for our raffle baskets;
- All of the hard-working EYPN members and volunteers who helped with set-up/take-down, selling raffle tickets, event coordination, collecting raffle basket donations and advanced promotion of the event;
- Most of all thanks to everyone in the Elgin community who supported or attended EYPN’s Hula for Moola Scholarship Fundraiser.
For more information about Elgin Young Professional Network, visit www.ElginYoungProfessionals.com or follow EYPN on Facebook (facebook.com/ElginYoungProfessionalsNetwork) and Twitter (twitter.com/ElginYPN).