Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:00pm
The Village Squire
480 Randall Road, South Elgin, IL 60177
Board Members Present: Krisilee Murphy, Marissa Garza, Jason Pawlowski, and Christina Pearson
Members Present: Justin Budd, Kari Christensen, Elaina McCalmont, Amber Phillips, Cass Skoflanc, and Emily Tyler
Krisilee Murphy, Board President, facilitated the meeting and welcomed the group.
Recap of Membership Drive
We had 28 people sign up during the event on January 29, but since then more people have reached out to Krisilee wanting to discuss the membership.
2015 Dues Program
Anyone who didn’t receive their t-shirt, should get them by March 18 at the professional development session or the March meeting. If you have not signed-up yet then here is the link. http://elginyoungprofessionals.com/become-a-member/
EYPN Volunteer Event
EYPN is scheduled to volunteer at Food For Greater Elgin on Thursday, February 26 from 5:30-7:30. Currently 9 members have signed up but they can take up to 12. Justin Budd and Emily Tyler stated they possibly could volunteer as well. We will plan to do one to two more throughout the year.
Professional Development Session: Financial Planning and Investments
On March 18th we will be having our first professional development session of 2015. The presentation will begin at 6:30 at Judson University’s in the Eagle Lounge inside Lindner Tower, 1151 N. State Street in Elgin. Keith Rauschenberger will provide a brief overview of financial and retirement planning followed by an introduction to investment management and portfolio development. This session will not be super technical but rather presented in a way that everyone can understand. Professional Development is a member benefit so we will continue these in 2015! More information on this session: http://elginyoungprofessionals.com/2015/02/09/financial-planning-and-investment/
Elgin Image Award
EYPN has been nominated for an Elgin Image Award. The award ceremony is on March 19 at The Centre of Elgin. Cocktails are from 6-7:00 and the ceremony begins at 7:00. A free dinner is also included. We would like to get as many EYPN members to attend as possible. We will be getting there early to save a table or two so please let us know if you are coming by March 11th. Email Krisilee Murphy to save your seat, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Event: Night Out with the Symphony
The Elgin Symphony Orchestra is doing a special event for EYPN members. ESO is providing EYPN with 30 “tweet seat” tickets to their season finale concert on Saturday, May 2 at 7:30 for only $20. Included in this package is a Solo wine tasting beginning at 6:30. This is an EYPN member only exclusive opportunity, but of course you are welcome to bring a guest. We will have more information regarding the concert and how you can purchase your ticket in the next couple weeks.
Anyone who wanted to sign up for a mentor but didn’t have an opportunity to sign-up at the January 29 event, please let Becky Hardekopf know. We will be rolling this program out in March. Becky’s email, email@example.com.
Volunteer Opportunities in the Community
- 2015 Women’s Big Ten Basketball Tournament (March 3-8): They are looking for volunteers to help out at the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates during this event. It’s open to all ages. Here is the link to register. https://2015bigtenwomenbbtourvol.my-trs.com/
- YWCA’s Cinderella’s Closet (March 21): They are looking for volunteers to help on the Tuesdays before the event from 5-8PM to organize the dresses and help set up. They are also looking for fairy godmothers for the day of the event to help the girls pick out their dresses. Here is the link to register to volunteer. http://www.ywcaelgin.org/site/c.8qLOK6MCLeI0F/b.8346225/k.63E2/Volunteer_Application/apps/ka/ct/contactus.asp?c=8qLOK6MCLeI0F&b=8346225&en=5oJzGIOjE4KIKSMmG3KFJOPwFfKHKXPvH8LKL0NELsG
- City of Elgin’s Fox Trot (May 23): The city is looking for volunteers to help the week of, the day before and the day of the race. There are a lot of different volunteer opportunities at this event. If you are interested please reach out to Amanda Moody with the City of Elgin, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Girl Scout cookies are now on sale. The booth sales begin February 27 and go through March 26.
- The Annual Hablamos Española Expo is on March 7 from 10:00AM-3:00PM at The Centre of Elgin. The Expo will feature entertainment from various cultural, dance and performing arts groups, a Hispanic art showcase, a sampling of food from area restaurants and local vendors.
- The YWCA of Elgin, I Heart Prom Expo will take place on Friday, March 13 from 6-9:00PM at Elgin High School. The expo will feature a Prom fashion show, interactive safety exhibits, safety tips in a fun and informative way. Also available will be Prom-related vendors such as limo services, hair salons, florists, and dress shops.
- Razors Edge is having a makeover contest. People are asked to submit a video about their worst hair disaster/experience.
- The Human Race 5k in McHenry County will take place on April 26. If you are interested in participating Little Angels asks that you select their agency to benefit from your registration.
- The Elgin Area Convention & Visitors Bureau has a new website.
An idea was brought up that when an EYPN member is at an event or are doing something in the community we should use the hashtag #IAMEYPN so we can show people what we do.
Meeting adjourn at 6:40PM